Deinstalling New Growth

deinstalling flow

I deinstalled my sculptures on Randall’s Island a few weeks ago with the help of Mike and Peter as well as Deb and her crew. First we unscrewed the nuts and used a mallet to whack the bolts loose (pictured above).

When we removed the plywood pieces from the signpost, we found some creatures living inside:

The signpost + 3 ft of concrete were ripped out of the ground by a large machine.

Long day spent mostly in a U-Haul driving all over NY and NJ. Lots of traffic. Some Japanese food at the end.

New Growth Installation

Picture 7

Picture 6

Picture 5

Picture 4

Picture 3

Picture 2

8:00 AM I arrived, met Deb and Fin, and we started drilling out the holes. 8 holes, 3 ft deep x 1 ft diameter, with two being “long holes”: 1 ft wide x 2 ft long. Cleaned up the holes with shovels.

9:20 AM Mike arrived with sonotubes. We widened some of the holes and inserted the sonotubes.

10:00 AM Eric and Chris arrived with the sculptures. We started putting them in their respective holes, staking them, and wrapping plastic around the bottom to protect from concrete splashes.

10:45 AM Concrete truck arrived. Mike and Eric started filling holes while Chris and I continued to place and stake them. Cleaned up the concrete a little.

12:15 AM Concrete truck left. Cleaned the wheelbarrows and shovels, gathered tools. Ate lunch.